Recipe: Mac & Cheese Cupcakes
Nothing says comfort food quite like mac ‘n’ cheese. And our Mac ‘N’ Cheese Cupcakes are the perfect twist on the classic dish that your guests won’t be able to resist.
Mini Mac & Cheese Cupcakes
(Yield: 30 cupcakes)
8 oz Ditalini pasta
4 Tbsp butter (½ stick)
1 small onion, diced small
¼ cup flour
2 cups whole milk
Salt & pepper to taste
8 oz cheddar cheese, grated
½ cup panko crumbs (or regular dry bread crumbs)
1 tsp chili powder
Tomato Chutney (recipe follows or use good quality jarred chutney or salsa)
2 scallion, thinly sliced
- Cook ditalini according to package instructions. The pasta must be fully cooked, not al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Sauté onion over medium heat in butter until soft. Sprinkle flour over the butter and onions and cook, stirring, until mixtures bubbles.
- Add milk while stirring and cook stirring all the while until the sauce comes to a simmer and thickens.
- Remove the sauce from the stove and stir in 6 oz of the grated cheddar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix pasta with the sauce.
- Mix panko crumbs with chili powder.
- Spray mini muffin tins with Pam and sprinkle the seasoned crumbs in the muffins wells.
- Spoon the ditalini mix into the muffin tins and top with remaining grated cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 5 minutes or until set. Muffins may be refrigerated at this point and reheated for 2 to 3 minutes until warm.
- Spoon a small amount of chutney on top of each mini muffin and garnish with scallion.
3 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced small
½ red pepper, diced small
½ red onion, diced small
¾ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup white sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ cup golden raisins
- Mix together all ingredients and cook over medium heat until thickened. Cool before serving.