Recipe: Green Papaya Cabbage Tofu Salad
Green Papaya Cabbage Tofu Salad
Yield: 6 (4oz) Servings
NOTE: This recipe is extremely adaptable! If you don’t care for tofu, replace it with grilled chicken, shrimp, flank steak or portobello mushrooms as delicious alternatives.
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup firm tofu, diced into ¾” cubes, drained
1 ¼ cup green papaya, peeled and thinly sliced (1/4 inch)
¼ cup napa cabbage, shredded
¼ cup green beans cut 1” long & blanched
1 ¼ cup red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon scallion, thinly sliced
3 tablespoon peanuts, toasted and chopped
1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
- Heat oil in a small sauté pan on medium high heat.
- Gently add tofu to oil and pan sear on both sides until golden brown.
- Pull pan off heat and let tofu cool to room temperature.
- Place tofu in small mixing bowl and add ½ of the Thai dressing (recipe below). Gently stir and let sit for 1-2 hours, refrigerated.
- Combine the green papaya slices, napa cabbage, red peppers and green beans in medium mixing bowl. Add the remaining Thai dressing and gently stir. Let sit for ½ hour refrigerated.
- Drain the marinated tofu & green papaya salad if there is excess liquid mix both together in serving bowl with 2 tablespoons of the chopped peanuts.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, scallion threads & remaining chopped peanuts. Surround the salad with lime wedges
1 tablespoon red curry paste
2 tablespoon sesame oil
4 tablespoon canola oil
2 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
½ tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
2 limes, juice & zest
- Combine all ingredients together in medium mixing bowl and whisk well. This can be made up to 1 day in advance and refrigerated.